Book Title: Learning-Driven Schools: A Practical Guide for Teachers And Principals
Publisher: Assn for Supervision & Curriculum
Author: Barry Beers
Many teachers are trained to approach their work with a set of teaching strategies and lessons that changes little over time. Because they are focused on how they teach, rather than on how their students learn, they use the same techniques day after day, making no adjustments for students' different learning needs.
In Learning-Driven Schools: A Practical Guide for Teachers and Principals, Barry Beers shows how teachers can plan, teach, and assess for student learning—and how principals can support teachers in their efforts. The book includes
* An overview of the research on knowledge retention;
* Real-life samples of lesson plans that address state and local standards;
* Strategies on accurately assessing student learning;
* Advice for teachers on addressing the needs of struggling, intermediate, and advanced students at the same time; and
* Advice for administrators on conducting effective classroom observations.
A rallying cry and how-to guide rolled into one, this book is an invaluable resource for anyone passionate about learning. Having served as a veteran teacher and principal himself, Barry Beers brings his own experience and understanding to bear on the essential task of ensuring that student learning remains the clear focus of our schools.